Is it possible to deploy Content Server (UCM earlier Stellent) and Web Server (Apache, OHS or IBM HTTP Server) on different machines ?
Answer is Yes and No. No, If you are planning to use Site Studio with Content Server. If you are NOT using Site Studio with Content Server then Yes, it is possible to deploy Content Server on different machine than Web Server (Apache, Oracle or IBM HTTP Server).
This type of deployment “Installing Web Server and Content Server on different Machines” is called as Disassociated Installations and documented in Section F Disassociated Installation (Page 133) of Content Server Installation guide here
Web Server and Content Server Communication
Content Server provides plug-in (RedirectUrls.so) which creates dedicated socket connection WebServer and Content Server .
What files (content server related) are required on WebServer ?
You need to copy [content_server]/data , idcplg and weblayout directory on Web Server machine. You would also need two library files (RedirectUrls.so, IdcAuth.so) from Content Server copied to Web Server.
Key things you should know for Disassociated Installations (Web Server and Content Server on different Machines)
1. Site Studio (more on Site Studio later) is not supported in this type of deployment
2. HTTP Caching for static requests is not supported in disassociated installations.
3. PDF byte streaming is not supported in disassociated installations.
4. Changes to content server are not automatically propagated to the Web Server.
Related Posts for UCM
- Oracle Universal Content Management Architecture
- Oracle Content Server (UCM) installation overview
- Oracle UCM Content Server Installation on Linux : Step by Step Doc – Part I
- Configure Apache (Oracle HTTP Server) with Stellent Content Server (UCM) – Part II
- Security (Users, Groups, Accounts) in Oracle Content Server (ECM/UCM)
- Start / Stop UCM (Stellent) Content Server idcserver_start idcadmin_start
- Can I install Content Server and Web Server (Apache/OHS) on different machines ?
- Integrate UCM (ECM/Content Server) with Microsoft Active Directory as LDAP Provider
- UCM/ECM 11gR1 software & documentation is now available to download
- Oracle Enterprise Content Management (ECM) 11g Installation Overview : UCM/ IBR/ IPM/ IRM/ URM
- Integrate Oracle ECM/UCM (Content Management) 11g with Oracle Internet Directory (LDAP Server) : Things you must know
- UCM Error accessing /cs “The Server is unavailable” . Could not start up IDC server deployment “csProviderUnableToStartSystem”