Oracle Traffic Director (OTD) is software load balancer from Oracle that receive requests from client and forward it to back-end application like WebLogic , WebCenter, Portal etc. In this first post on OTD, I’ll be covering basic concepts related to OTD (More on installation & configuration of OTD later in future posts)
1. Oracle Traffic Director (OTD) is layer-7 software load balancer from Oracle.
2. OTD can be configured as front end for Web Server (like OHS, Apache, IHS) or Application Servers (like WeBlogic, WebSphere)
3. OTD is optimized for use in Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud and Oracle SuperCluster
4. On Exalogic, OTD can communicate to back-end servers on Exalogic’s InfiniBand fabric
5. OTD can be configured for High Availability (HA) in both Active-Active (A-A) or Active-Passive (A-P) Mode .
6. OTD can distribute client request to back-end servers in multiple load distribution algorithm like Round Robin, Least Connection Count, Least Response Time etc
7. You can deploy OTD in following 3 Topologies
7.1 Basic – Single OTD : In this simple topology you have single instance of OTD accepting requests from clients and sending this to back-end servers .
7.2 Highly Available – Active-Passive : In this Topology, you have two instances of OTD but in Active Passive mode. If Active node goes down, passive OTD node becomes active .
7.3 Highly Available – Active-Active : In this Topology, you have two instances of OTD but in Active-Active mode. This set-up would mean better utilisation of resources as Active Active but would need two virtual IPs (more on this later when I cover HA deployment of OTD).
8. Failover Group: is two OTD instance grouped by VIP to provide high availability in active-passive mode. In this Failover Group one instance is defined as Primary Instance while other as Backup Instance. If primary instance is not reachable then request will be routed to backup instance in that group .
9. OTD can be managed using
a) Fusion Middleware Control /em
b) WLST (oracle_home/otd/common/bin/wlst.sh)
10. OTD Can be installed & configured in one of two modes
a) Collocated – OTD with WebLogic Server
b) Standalone – OTD without WebLogic Server
Stay Tuned for Installation & Configuration of OTD in future post.
Oracle ACE, Author, Speaker and Founder of K21 Technologies & K21 Academy : Oracle Gold Partner specialising in Design, Implement, and Trainings.
Find Us On