If you are planning to migrate your application server to different machine or changing existing machine’s hostname, domainname or IP address here is list of things you should know in advance.
Discussion on this post if for 10.1.2.X and lower (Changing hostname on 10.1.3 and higher coming soon..)
Oracle Application Server components
Middle Tier– J2EE, Webcache, Portal, Wireless, BI, Forms
Infrastructure Tier– Identity Management(OID/SSO) & Metadata Repository
Things you should know before changing hostname, domainname, IP
1. Changing hostname, domainname of Metadata Repository is not supported (MR holds product data as well as OID/SSO data).
2. Use chgiphost.sh (unix) or chgiphost.bat (windows) in $OH/chgip/scripts directory to change hostname, domainname, IP address. 3. For changing middle tier hostname/domainname use option “-mid” with chgiphost.sh|.bat command
4. For changing Identity Management tier hostname/domainname use option “-idm” with chgiphost.sh|.bat command
5. You need orcladmin password for infra tier and any middle tier registered with OID/Infra Tier
6. If you change hostanme/domainname of instance hosting portal/sso, you need to reconfigure portal (using ptlconfig) and reregister with SSO (ssoreg)
7. Instance name doesn’t change by changing hostname or domainname. (When instance is initially created during installation name of instance is configured as <instance_name_you_provide> . <hostname>.<domainname> If instance name before host/domain name change was myinstance.oldhost.olddomain then it will remain same)
8. If instance (for which you wish to change hostname/domainname/ip) is part of OarcleAs cluster, you first have to remove it from cluster and add it later to cluster using “dcmctl” command
9. If instance (for which you wish to change hostname/domainname/ip) is part of OarcleAs Web Cache cluster, you first have to remove it from Web Cache cluster and add it later to cluster using “webcacheadmin” screen
10. If you are changing hostname/domainname for instance hosting OID, then change ldap.ora on all middle tier using this OID
11. Finally if anything goes wrong check logs in $OH/chgip/log
Changing hostname, domainname, ip address of machine SOA Suite (BPEL, ESB, OWSM) coming soon !!!
Oracle ACE, Author, Speaker and Founder of K21 Technologies & K21 Academy : Oracle Gold Partner specialising in Design, Implement, and Trainings.
Find Us On