Lot of Apps DBA’s encounter performance Issues with Oracle Applications 11i . You get phone call from support team or your local helpdesk team that Users are complaining that system is running slow, you don’t know where to start & what to do in this scenario . Here I am outlining overview at this minute what to ask users & what to look for ? These steps might be hepful when your 11i oracle is running slow .
Steps mentioned below are for Apps 11i which may or may not fit in all your performance scenarios
First as an Over view of Oracle Applications 11i check following things
Broad Level Steps to Check
1. Is Gather stats schedule ? ( atleast weekly ?)
2. Is Purge Obsolete Workflow request & concurrent request purging scheduled ?
3. Is there any runaway process on database tier or application tier ? ( runaway process is process taking unexceptionally long time with high CPU or Memory usages)
4. Any Discoverer process taking long time or High CPU ? ( Usually on Middle tier like dis4ws..) 5. Any Custom report taking long time ?
In order to understand problem better
As Next level you should ask questions to yourself or person encountering performance issues like
1. Is whole application is slow or only component of application is slow (like only Concurrent manager running slow)
2. If this is paritular component like reports server slow then is a particular report or all reports are slow ?
3. Is performance issue during all time or at specific time lets say from 11AM to 4PM ?
4. Was performance issue popped up recently or performance degradation is since long ?
5. Whats changed recently ?
Depending on answers you can start looking into application like if issue is specific to whole applications then check
1. If database initialization parameter is set correctly ?
2. If application sizing is proper , server configuration is enough to accomodate all users ?
Rest other points I will cover in tomorrow’s post