Last month, I Posted about Oracle CPU Patches also called as Critical patch Update or security Patch Update.
You can access that Post or Overview of CPU from below link
Today & in my future posts I am going to cover How to Apply these patches in your Applications. You might be having following applications
Oracle Application Server ( 9i , 10g )
Oracle Collaboration Suite ( 9i or 10g )
Oracle E-Business Suite ( 11i )
Standalone Database (8i, 9i, 10g)
The Steps Mentioned in today’s post are specific to Jul 2006 CPU patches for Application Server . This Oct. ( Mid of Month ) Oracle is going to release CPU for Oct 2006 and I’ll Update you as and when they are out.
Common things to remember in almost all of CPU Patches
Order of CPU Patch
Then Application Tier
Previous CPU Patches
E-Business Suite Patches are non cumulative
Application Server, Database or Collaboration Suite CPU patches are cumulative .
1. Applying JUL CPU for 10g Application Server ( Ver. 10.1.2.0.2)
1.1 Assumptions while applying patch
Steps mentioned here are for 10g R2 Application Server version 10.1.2.0.2
Portal Schema Content is stored in separate Database Version 10.2.0.1
OID & SSO Database is stored in Database Version 10.1.0.5
Infrastructure Tier is on separate Host then Middle Tier
Middle Tier & Infrastructure Tier both are on version 10.1.2.0.2
In my application architecture , I have three oracle homes , two on machine1 ( oh_1 for database 10.2.0.1 , oh_2 for infrastructure home with another database 10.1.0.5) , third oracle home on machine2 ( oh_3 application Server Middle Tier)
Don’t forget to backup before applying patch as fall back plan
Reference are taken from metalink note # 372930.1
1.2 Order of patches
Based on my configuration my order of patch application will be first database patch on oh_1 for db 10.2.0.1 on machine1
Then apply Infrastructure patch on oh_2 on machine1
Finally apply middle tier patch on oh_3 on machine2
1.3 Exact Steps for applying patches
1.3.1 Apply Database 10.2.0.1 patch
– Login to machine1 under oracle_home1 & need to apply database patch for db version 10.2.0.1 and patch number is 5225798 (This is for Unix) if you are on windows you need 5239698 for 32 bit Windows. If you are on 10.1.0.5 patch # is 5225797 & so on … ( Check Note # mentioned above for exact patch Number )
– Download patch & shutdown services
– Lets assume you have downloaded patch to /u01/patch/cpu/jul06/5225798 then go to this directory & follow readme.txt ( Steps mentioned here from readme.txt)
– opatch apply (If you encounter opatch not found then include it in path like export PATH=$PATH/$ORACLE_HOME/OPatch as opatch is in $OH/OPatch Directory)
You should see OPatch succeeded
sqlplus “/as sysdba”
SQL> startup ( Start database )
SQL> spool catcpu.log (to store output of catcpu.sql in log file)
and this complete your patch on standalone PORTAL repository database.
Same way you have to apply Jul CPU patch on standalone database .
* If your database version is different than 10.2.0.1 then patch number will vary so check note# mentioned above .
How to Apply CPU patch on Application Server Infrastructure Tier, Middle Tier ..
How to Apply CPU patch on Collaboration Suite Infrastructure & Middle Tier ..
How to apply CPU July patch on E-Business Suite …
Coming in Next Post …….
Find Us On