This post covers broad level steps to introduce additional middle/application tier to accommodate more application users or for resilience.
This document is based on Rapid Clone to add new Application Tier/Node.
Top Level Steps
1. Run Rapid Clone (preclone) on existing middle tier Node;
perl adpreclone.pl appsTier
2. Copy middle tier file system from existing middle tier node to target middle tier
– For 11i -> APPL_TOP, COMMON_TOP and ORA_TOP
– For R12 -> apps and inst from R12_INSTALL_BASE
3. Configure target node you want to add;
perl adcfgclone.pl appsTier
4. Add node to target system using adaddnode
5. Setup load balancer (Optional)
– If load balancer is already in place (using two or more middle tier via load balancer) then reconfigure load balancer to include new node as target apps node
– If this is second middle tier node in your configuration then configure load balancer for existing and new middle tier (Use Metalink Note 380489.1 for R12 and 217368.1 for 11i). Check more on Load Balancer Here
Oracle ACE, Author, Speaker and Founder of K21 Technologies & K21 Academy : Specialising in Design, Implement, and Trainings.