OBIEE 11g release latest version (as of 30 April 2011) is 126.96.36.199 which can be downloaded from here
1. Database (Oracle, IBM DB2 or MS-SQL)
2. Repository Creation Utility (RCU)
3. OBIEE 11g (188.8.131.52 is latest OBIEE as of 30 April 2011)
4. WebLogic 10.3.3 (Optional – Only required for 64 bit machine or IBM AIX)
5. JDK 1.6 64 bit (Optional – Only required for 64 bit machine)
OBIEE 11g Installation Key Points
1. OBIEE includes Answers, Dashboards, Delivers, Repository Administration Tool, Office, Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher and Oracle Real Time Decisions. When you install OBIEE you select from below three products.
2. Unlike other fusion middleware products, All Business Intelligence components intended for a WebLogic domain must be configured at the same time. i.e. It is not possible to extend an weblogic domain containing some OBIEE components, to include other OBIEE components at later stage.
3. If you are installing OBIEE on 64 bit machine then use software install and configure OBIEE using 64 bit JDK later using config.sh or config.bat.
4. Like most of other Fusion Middleare components, OBIEE consists of two type of components i.e. Java Components (running on weblogic domain) and System Components (managed by OPMN and run as BI Instance). For more information on Fusion Middleware concepts click here
5. Java Components include Action Service , BI Office, BI Publisher, RTD …where as System Components include BI Server, BI Java Host, BI Presentation Service, Cluster Controller, BI Scheduler…
6. After installing OBIEE 11g on a machine, do not install OBIEE 10g. You can install OBIEE 11g on a machine on which OBIEE 10g is already installed (Shutdown OBIEE 10g before installing OBIEE 11g)
7. OBIEE supports following installation types
a) Simple Install – OBIEE installation on single machine with minimal input required from user during installation/configuration (useful for development environments)
b) Enterprise Install– More configuration option than simple install or to scale out enterprise deployment for single or multi node OBIEE deployment. (Useful for production, pre-production and performance test environments)
c) Software Install – This installation type installs just OBIEE binaries which you must later configure. (Use this installation type for 64 bit machines or IBM AIX)
8. In software only installation type (third option above) install WebLogic Server first (this will create middleware home) and then install OBIEE software in this middleware home.
9. High Level OBIEE 11g installation step for 64 bit machine are (Installation of JDK, weblogic, and OBIEE config step are not required for simple install on 32 bit machine)
a. Install Database(or use pre-existing database) to create OBIEE schema (Only Oracle, MS-SQL server, IBM DB2 are certified database for OBIEE schema)
b. Create OBIEE schema (BIPLATFORM , MDS) using RCU , more on RCU here (RCU is currently available for 32 bit Linux and Windows only)
c. Install 64 bit 1.6 JDK (Sun or JRockit)
d. Install WebLogic using 64 bit JDK (Use steps mentioned here ). Make sure you install correct weblogic version i.e. use 10.3.3 weblogic for 184.108.40.206 OBIEE . DO NOT install weblogic 10.3.2 or 10.3.4 weblogic with 220.127.116.11 OBIEE
e. Install Business Intelligence Software using setup.exe (windows) or runInstaller (Linux) (This step will install WebLogic and OBIEE software and create WL_HOME and ORACLE_HOME for OBIEE i.e. Oracle_BI1)
f. Configure OBIEE using config.sh or config.cmd from $OBIEE_ORACLE_HOME/bin (This step will create domain containing WebLogic Admin Server and one or more managed server)
10. You can scale out OBIEE installation either vertically or horizontally. In vertical scaling two or more nodes of OBIEE cluster are installed/configured on same machine. In Horizontal scaling out, each OBIEE node of cluster is installed on its own dedicated machine.
11.You can install OBIEE interactively (default mode) or in silent mode . For silent installation use option -silent and provide response file with option -response i.e. runInstaller (or setup.exe) -silent -response response_file
12. After installation, verify following URLs
Web Application running on Admin Server (default port 7001)
a) WebLogic Console – http://servername:7001/console
b) Fusion Middleware Control – http://servername:7001/em
Web Application running on Managed Server bi_server1 (default port 9704)
c) Analytics – http://servername:9704/analytics
d) Web Service Manager Policy Manager – http://servername:9704/wsm-pm
e) BI Publisher – http://servername:9704/xmlpserver
f) Real Time Decisions – http://servername:9704/ui
g) BI Office – http://servername:9704/bioffice/about.jsp
Integration of OBIEE with Oracle Internet Directory for User/Identity Store and Oracle Access Manager 11g for Single Sign-On coming soon…
Oracle ACE, Author, Speaker and Founder of K21 Technologies & K21 Academy : Specialising in Design, Implement, and Trainings.