OID which stands for Oracle Internet Directory is part of Identity Management in Infrastructure Tier of Fusion Middleware. If you are planning to configure 10g Application Server with Apps 11i or R12 , This note might be useful for you in understanding OID . Looking at importance of OID, I am going to discuss on few important things about OID today .
OID is part of infrastructure tier in 10g Application Server (Identity Mangement from 10.1.4 onwards)
What is OID ?
Oracle Internet Directory (OID) is Oracle’s Implementation of LDAP (Light weight Directory Access Protocol) which is ldap version 3 compliant. OID is special kind of database repository in which information is stored in Tree structure also called DIT (Directory Information Tree).
Similar to OID , Microsoft has its own LDAP server called Active Directory (AD) and Sun’s LDAP server is called as iPlanet .
Where is OID code in oracle_home ?
OID code & its corresponding log files are stored in directories under $ORACLE_HOME/ldap directory in Infrastructure Tier . This is same tier where your SSO server sits.
OID logs are stored at $ORACLE_HOME/ldap/log (This location is quite important for apps dba’s for troubleshooting OID Issues). Few executables like oidctl, oidadmin, oidca, oidldapd are in ORACLE_HOME/bin .
What are default ports for OID ?
You may see different ports for OID depending on OID server version but most common is 389 non ssl OID port & 636 for SSL OID port (These are also default ldap server ports). If you don’t know which ports your OID is using refer portlist.ini in $ORACLE_HOME/install (Note that this file will not list updated port if you change OID ports after Installation)
You should an entry like
Oracle Internet Directory port = 389
Oracle Internet Directory (SSL) port = 636
How to start OID ?
OID process is controlled by opmn (Oracle process monitor & notification server) so you by default use opmnctl command
To Start OID opmnctl startproc ias-component=OID
To Stop OID opmnctl stopproc ias-component=OID
OID can also be started without OPMN by
First start oidmon (OID Monitor Process)
Then use oidctl (OID control)
To stop OID without OPMN
First stop oid process using oidctl then stop oidmon (OID monitoring process)
When you start services using opmnctl , it inturn start oidmon & oidctl .
How to troubleshoot OID issues ??
Where to check for OID Logs ??
What is OID Replication Server ??
What is Integration & Provisioning Server in OID ??
Coming soon …..
Related Posts for OID
- Oracle Internet Directory OID
- Oracle Internet Directory – Basics II
- OID to OID/Active Directory/iPlanet other LDAP Server Integration
- Multi Master OID Replication
- OID Architecture
- Oracle Internet Directory , OID Troubleshooting
- Server Chaining in OID
- OID Quesries/ Scripts FAQ
- OIDADMIN Client
- Oracle Identity Management (OID) 11g installation Issues on Linux
- OID 11g – Oracle Directory Services Manager (ODSM)
- DIP : Synchronization, Provisioing, Connectors, DSS in Oracle Directory Services (ODS) 11g
- OID Replication – Suppliers, Consumers, DRG, ASR/LDAP based replication
- ASR setup has failed – Error occurred while dropping database link : ORA-02084 : database name is missing a component while Configuring Multi Master OID replication using “remtool -asrsetup”
- OID 11g Down : Unable to Start OID 11g using OPMN (ODS schema locked ORA-28002)
- OID/Directory Services 11g – Schema, Object Class, Attributes
- OID 11g Distributed Install : DIP/ODSM (Java Component) & OID (LDAP/REPLD) on different machine
- OID Server Mode R, RW, RM: LDAP: error code 53 – Server currently in read only mode
- How to change OID 11g database schema (ODS) password
- How to add custom attribute, Object Classe in OID from command line or GUI
- Oracle Internet Directory (OID) and Real Application Cluster (RAC) database : Things you must know
- How to Update User Password in OID (single account or bulk) – command line or GUI
- Error starting OID 11g during configuration stage of OID installation on Windows Server “ProvisionException: Failed to start the component”
- How to delete Entries in OID 11g in Bulk – Delete Failed : Ldap Error Code 66 Not allowed on Non-Leaf
- How to find latest changelog number (or changes) in OID ?
- Context Initialization Error on running ldapsearch commands on OID Server
- How to find OID version and patches applied on OID Home ?
- How to change OID 11g LDAP/LDAPS listen port
- How to find/audit Failed Login Attempts in OID 11g
- Step by Step configuration of OID Multi Master Replication – LDAP based in OID 11g
- OID 11g LDAP based Multi Master replication : Configuration Entries you must know
- Configure SSL for Oracle Internet Directory (OID)
- How to backup Oracle Internet Directory (OID) 11g – Data : Full / Partial
- SSL / Wallets in OID/OHS : How to manage certificates in Wallet using command line ?? ORAPKI