This post covers Oracle Business Intelligence (OBIEE) deployment for High Availability (cluster).
Lets first understand components of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
Components of BIEE
Oracle BI (Business Intelligence) consist of following components
i) BI Server– maintains logical data model in local proprietary file (.rpd).
ii) BI Presentation Service – provide framework and interface for presentation of BI data to web clients.
iii) BI Publisher – generates enterprise reports
iv) BI Scheduler – scheduling reports to be delivered to user at specified time
v) BI Java host– provide services to presentation services for charts, PDFs and Gauges
vi) BI Presentation Service plug-in – entry point for web clients to presentation service requests.
Some of these components can be deployed in Active-Active Cluster while others in Active-Passive
Things good to know about Clustering of Business Intelligence Component
1. BI Presentation Service and BI Server can be deployed in Active-Active where as BI Schedulers participate in cluster with Active-Passive configuration.
2. Cluster controller is entry point for clustered BI Servers
3. BI Server metadata is stored in repository file (.rpd) which is local to each BI server in cluster
4. For BI Server in cluster, one BI Server is designated as MASTER. Online changes to RPD file (repository) are made to master and these changes are replicated to other members of BI Server.
5. Multiple Presentation Services instance in cluster can either share common presentation catalog or catalog may be replicated to each BI presentation Services instance.
6.There can be up to 16 BI Servers in a network domain acting as single server.
7. BI Java host is installed with each BI Presentation Service in cluster. By default BI Presentation Service make request to its local BI Java host. BI Java host can be configured to provide load balancing so that BI Presentation Service can make request to remote BI Java host.
8. Multiple BI Presentation Services in cluster are NOT controlled by Cluster Controller (Cluster Controller maintains multiple BI Servers in cluster)
9. Cluster controller runs in Active-Passive Mode
10. BI Scheduler server runs in Active-Passive Mode
Now lets understand additional components which are specific to BI Cluster
“BI Cluster” Server components
i) BI Cluster Controller – is first point of contact for new requests from BI presentation Services and other clients to BI Server.
Cluster Controller monitors operations of BI servers in cluster and BI scheduler instance (Active-Passive).
Cluster Controller is deployed in Active-Passive configuration i.e. only one cluster controller is up at a time.
ii) Cluster Manager – is available in Administration Tool when a repository is open in online mode.
How components in BI cluster (BI Servers, Presentations Services, Presentations Plug-in, Cluster Controller, BI Scheduler, BI Javahost) communicate with each other coming soon …
Client -> Web Server -> BI Presentation Service Plug-in -> BI Presentation Service
BI Presentations Service -> BI Cluster Controller (in clustered environment) or BI Java Host
BI Cluster Controller -> BI Server or BI Scheduler
Oracle ACE, Author, Speaker and Founder of K21 Technologies & K21 Academy : Oracle Gold Partner specialising in Design, Implement, and Trainings.
Find Us On