Steps to configure OID in multi-master replication with screenshots are covered in My Oracle Support Note 1052278.1 How to Setup 11g OID Multimaster Replication.
In this post I am going to cover key points that supplement note 1052278.1 How to Setup 11g OID Multimaster Replication
Why and when to implement OID multi-master replication ?
OID uses Oracle database as its persistent store both for configuration and user data. For high availability (as shown on left side of above image) in one data center, you can configure two or more OID nodes connected to RAC Database (RAC database provides high availability for OID database). You can configure two OID application tier instances connected to same RAC database using steps in EDG here.
For OID high availability across sites (two data centers situated miles apart) or in situation where you don’t have RAC database license, You can achieve high availability across sites using OID Multi-Master replication. In OID multi-master replication, OID is always available (Active-Active) on both Primary and Standby site. Change on OID@standby are replicated to OID@Primary and vice versa and two OID’s remain in sync.
How OIDs configured in Multi-Master remain in sync ?
You can configure two or more OID’s in multi-master replication either using LDAP based replication (LDAP commands using change log are used to keep to OID stores in sync) or ASR based replication (database advanced replication feature is used to sync two OID stores)
Note1: LDAP based replication is preferred replication
Note2: ASR based replication is mandatory if you are using 10g SSO (OSSO)
Things good to know for OID LDAP based multi-master replication
1) If you have two OID application nodes (node1 & node2) connected to same OID database (RAC_DB1) and two another OID application nodes (node3 & node4) connected to second OID database (RAC_DB2) as shown in figure above, then to configure multi master replication between a) node1/2 with RACDB1 and b) node3/4 with RACDB2
a) configure/start OID replication daemon OIDREPLD only on one of two nodes from OID1 or OID2
b) configure/start OID replication daemon OIDREPLD only on one of two nodes from OID3 or OID04
2) You can configure OID Multi-master replication using Replication Wizard (using Enterprise Manager) or command line tool (remtool)
Note: Replication Wizard (via enterprise manager) is recommended approach to configure OID multi-master replication
3) You can configure replication on SSL or Non SSL. If you wish to configure replication on SSL then use LDAP SSL port between members of replication nodes
4) Bootstrap is the process to initially loading existing data (including OID schema extension) from one OID to another OID member in replication . You can bootstrap by selecting checkbox as shown below during configuration.
Note: Do not select bootstrap for both the replication members
More on OID multi master replication attributes and replication daemons in next post
Related Posts for OID
- Oracle Internet Directory OID
- Oracle Internet Directory – Basics II
- OID to OID/Active Directory/iPlanet other LDAP Server Integration
- Multi Master OID Replication
- OID Architecture
- Oracle Internet Directory , OID Troubleshooting
- Server Chaining in OID
- OID Quesries/ Scripts FAQ
- OIDADMIN Client
- Oracle Identity Management (OID) 11g installation Issues on Linux
- OID 11g – Oracle Directory Services Manager (ODSM)
- DIP : Synchronization, Provisioing, Connectors, DSS in Oracle Directory Services (ODS) 11g
- OID Replication – Suppliers, Consumers, DRG, ASR/LDAP based replication
- ASR setup has failed – Error occurred while dropping database link : ORA-02084 : database name is missing a component while Configuring Multi Master OID replication using “remtool -asrsetup”
- OID 11g Down : Unable to Start OID 11g using OPMN (ODS schema locked ORA-28002)
- OID/Directory Services 11g – Schema, Object Class, Attributes
- OID 11g Distributed Install : DIP/ODSM (Java Component) & OID (LDAP/REPLD) on different machine
- OID Server Mode R, RW, RM: LDAP: error code 53 – Server currently in read only mode
- How to change OID 11g database schema (ODS) password
- How to add custom attribute, Object Classe in OID from command line or GUI
- Oracle Internet Directory (OID) and Real Application Cluster (RAC) database : Things you must know
- How to Update User Password in OID (single account or bulk) – command line or GUI
- Error starting OID 11g during configuration stage of OID installation on Windows Server “ProvisionException: Failed to start the component”
- How to delete Entries in OID 11g in Bulk – Delete Failed : Ldap Error Code 66 Not allowed on Non-Leaf
- How to find latest changelog number (or changes) in OID ?
- Context Initialization Error on running ldapsearch commands on OID Server
- How to find OID version and patches applied on OID Home ?
- How to change OID 11g LDAP/LDAPS listen port
- How to find/audit Failed Login Attempts in OID 11g
- Step by Step configuration of OID Multi Master Replication – LDAP based in OID 11g
- OID 11g LDAP based Multi Master replication : Configuration Entries you must know
- Configure SSL for Oracle Internet Directory (OID)
- How to backup Oracle Internet Directory (OID) 11g – Data : Full / Partial
- SSL / Wallets in OID/OHS : How to manage certificates in Wallet using command line ?? ORAPKI
- How to debug OID : LDAP Error code 50 – Insufficient Access Rights
- What Hashing Algorithm OID uses to store user Password : SSHA or MD5